Friday, June 3, 2016

Manga Review: Behind the Scenes!!

Behind the Scenes!! Vol. 1 
By Bisco Hatori
***1/2
"I prefer shade to sunlight." -Bisco Hatori, Behind the Scenes!! Vol. 1
This series has a lot of promise - a college "art squad" who creates the costumes, set designs, etc. for the campus film groups. The squad has a fun variety of characters and I think it'll be interesting to see where their stories go. 

The only draw back (and the reason I didn't give this a higher rating), and one I felt happened with the Ouran series, too, is that it feels like too much is jammed into the first volume. Not just story-wise - Hatori does have a lot of characters to introduce in this ensemble - but even visually. There are a few pages and frames that have so much going on that I can't really tell what's happening in the picture. In Ouran, this settled down after a bit, and then I was fully immersed, and I hope that's the case here as well. 

So far this series is starting out pretty tame, even though it takes place in a college setting. It looks like it will be a good fit for artistic types, particularly high school students. I'd recommend the series for anyone who's interested in film making, particularly the "Behind the Scenes!!" work it takes to get the film made.

Looking forward to finding out what happens next and excited to start a new series by the only manga artist/writer I've really gotten into. 

Bonus Factors: Steampunk elements, art/design

No comments:

Post a Comment