Monday, June 25, 2012

It's Monday: What are you reading?

It's Monday: What are you reading? is a weekly meme from Book Journey.

I recently finished the latest Sookie Stackhouse novel, Deadlocked, and loved it! But then again, I'm completely hooked on this world and I probably would have loved it no matter what. I recently heard a rumor that Charlaine will be finishing up the series with the next installment. Kudos to her for not dragging the series on for.e.ver, but I'm still heartbroken by the fact that it may be concluding. Man I hope Sookie gets a nice "happily ever after" - one that's pretty boring...that poor girl could use some boring.



I also finished the YA book, The Book of Blood and Shadow by Robin Wasserman. This was a really cool ancient-relic-mystery-adventure type of story. Basically, there are some teens that read latin who help out a professor with some transcriptions. He's obsessed with this unbreakable code (that part is actually real - the code, not the professor's obsession), which after 400 years of nobody being able to crack it (also true), our heroine discovers the way to break it. Death and mayhem ensue, mostly in Prague. The story has a definite Da Vinci Code feel to it - the mysterious relic has religious implications, and the religious tone may or may not turn off readers. Still, the book was fascinating and I'd definitely recommend it.



See my full reviews for these titles in previous posts.

What I'm reading now: I'm currently trying to get through another YA novel, The Peculiars by Maureen Doyle McQuerry. It's slow going; I haven't been able to get into the story, and there are several things about it that bug me. I'm determined to finish it, but I'm sure (unless it totally turns around at this point) this book won't be a favorite. I'm pretty sure the cover art and title will be superior to the actual story, which is a shame.



What I'm going to read: Oh good heavens, I have no idea. So many books, so little time! And whatever I type here I'll mysteriously not be in the mood for when it comes time to pick up something new, so I won't even bother.

5 comments:

  1. I've heard good things about all the books enjoy them! +New GFC follower Your blog is really pretty!
    Here's my It's Monday! post :)

    -Kimberly @ Turning The Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the follow! Your site looks awesome, by the way :)

      Delete
  2. I thought the Peculiars looked good, I'm so disappointed you aren't liking it :( Have a great week though!

    What are YOU reading @ The Brunette Librarian??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I tagged you with the Liebster Award on my blog. The post is: http://bookworm8921.blogspot.com.au/2012/06/leibster-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Docker! I'll hopefully have this done today :)

      Delete