Saturday, October 3, 2009

It's been a long time...

I know it's been a while since I last posted...school will do that to you, I guess! I meant to blog about my first grad school experiences as they happened. Alas, the time has gotten away from me. As it stands, I'm writing this as I wait for library databases to load so I can do my homework (they are SLOWWWW).

Since I didn't get to write about my first experiences (they were good - I really dig my classes!), I'm just going to write and link some interesting things I've learned so far...

If you join the ALA and some of it's sub-organizations, like YALSA (Young Adult Library Services Associations), and you join their committees, it's possible that you can eventually join in choosing the best books of the year for that organization and get TONS OF FREE BOOKS to read and rate. I found my new calling...

The ALA's (by the way, the ALA is the American Library Association) Freedom to Read statement makes me want to wave my flag and lead the revolution, it's that inspiring!

While this blog is no longer updated, it's a humorous look at the daily life of a public library reference librarian.

While the internet and digital readers are swell, they will never take away my love for a real book.

Books in this country are challenged or banned due to a variety of reasons, the majority of which is sexuality in Young Adults books. Some, though, are challenged for rather ridiculous reasons. For example, a book by Louise Rennison (of the Georgia Nicolson series, a personal favorite) titled On the Bright Side, I’m Now the Girlfriend of a Sex God: Further Confessions of Georgia Nicolson was challenged because "an unstable person seeing a girl reading the book might think from the title that the girl is promiscuous and stalk her." Yeah, seriously. I wonder how they'd feel about other books from that series - one is titled Knocked Out by My Nunga-Nungas. The book in question was retained by the library. Source: Newsletter of Intellectual Freedom, Mar. 2005, p. 74.

Ok, that's all for now, homework beckons. For those of you who don't have homework, go read a book!

No comments:

Post a Comment